Episode 10: Notes on a Hiatus, ft. Rest

Brenna is taking a two-week break from the pod. She’ll see you on November 16.

White pencil on yellow background, pencil reads,
You Got This!
Episode 10: Notes on a Hiatus, ft. Rest
Loading
/

Episode transcript follows:

Hello, and welcome to You Got This!, a podcast about teaching, and learning, and pivoting to digital for the whole TRU community. I’m your host, Brenna Clarke Gray, Coordinator of Educational Technologies. And, this podcast is a project of your friends over at Learning Technology and Innovation. We’re housed within Open Learning, but we support the whole campus community. I record this podcast in Tk’emlups te Secwepemc within the unceded traditional lands of Secwepemcúl’ecw, where I hope to learn and grow in community with all of you.

And this week’s episode is not really an episode at all. It’s just a quick note to let you know that You Got This! is going to take a two-week hiatus. I was off a few days this week and I’m just trying to catch up and trying to take my own advice about acknowledging when we need rest and when we need to be clear about our priorities. So as I reorganize my workload and try to attend to some tasks that need my focus and attention, and as I work on rest, I’m going to take a couple of weeks off.

So no podcast this week and no podcast next week. But the next episode will drop in time for Monday, November 16th. So in lots of time for us to have good conversations about final exams, marking, workload, process, and rest. I’ll be back. Thanks so much for your patience with me taking some time off. And in the meantime, if you want to let me know if there are any particular topics that you would find really useful or helpful or anybody you’d like to hear me talk with in the lead up to finals, please feel free to let me know. You can always reach me at bgray@tru.ca, that’s Gray with an A. And it’s also Gray with an A over on Twitter @brennacgray. So don’t hesitate to get in touch if you’ve got feedback or questions or things you’d like us to cover. As I say, in the lead up to finals.

In the meantime, I’m going to leave you with a tiny workflow tip, maybe this week instead of a tiny teaching tip, and just recommend that you take a look at what’s on your plate and see if there’s something that you can take a respectful and thoughtful rest from for a few days. Because it’s definitely something that I needed this week. And I’m really learning that we need to prioritize taking care of ourselves, if we want to make it through. I just got my notes back or my APAR and my very thoughtful department chairs and director reminded me that this whole thing, this is a marathon, not a sprint. So take what you need and I hope you’ll still be here when I’m back in two weeks.

I’ll see you on November 16th. Until then, take care of yourselves and of each other. Bye bye.